Monday, August 25, 2008

porch and paint

I love days like today. A lot of progress was made on the studio, and not just any progress, but progress that you can actually see. We painted the three sides that have siding on them, and I continued working on the front porch. You can really get a feel for what the finished building is going to look like when paint starts going on the walls.

I built the porch 8' out from the front edge of the building, and set it so that the top of the decking would end up pretty much flush with the threshold of the door (wheelchair accessible). It really wasn't too tough, other than the fact that somehow I got off on the spacing of the floor joists on the front side of the porch, and they ended up all out of whack with each other. It took a little head scratchin', but I finally figured out what I had done and fixed it.

The color we landed on, after trying three different samples is LaFonda Wild West Green. I know, what a name! But we were extremely pleased once we got the three sides painted, and we just love the color. I was amazed at how quickly the painting went. I think we started at about 2:00 this afternoon, and finished up right at dark. One more day, and we'll have all the painting done. We decided to brush the paint on instead of spraying it and I think that saved us a ton of time since we didn't have to mask off all the trim, windows, doors, and metal roofing.

Last thing, the sheetrock came in this afternoon, so we should also get some work done on the interior of the studio this week.

Here are the completed windows and back door. I can actually lock all my tools inside the building now instead of toting them all inside the house every night.


LaFonda Wild West Green in all her splendor.


Cool detail shot of the front window and door trim.


Here's the view from the highway.


No extra charge for this little nugget of joy!

No comments: